Welcome to Computational Thinking
This class will prepare you for the HTML/CSS industry certification. You will have the opportunity to earn an IT Specialist Certification from Certiport. See the following document for the objective domains of the Python exam.
You will also have the opportunity to earn Google Professional Certificates. These certificates introduce students to IT Support, Data Analytics, Project Management, UX Design, and Automation with Python. If you complete one of these certificates, Google will give you interview preparation resources and access to a recruiter.
We will use Modern Classroom practices that provide blended instruction, self-paced structures, and mastery-based grading.
- CodeHS to introduce HTML/CSS
- Replit for HTML/CSS projects
- Learn Key for HTML/CSS certification prep
- GMetrix for HTML/CSS certification prep
- Construct3 for 2D game design
- SparkFun for an intro to the Arduino microcontrollers
- HTML - Structuring Websites: Students learn about the language behind all websites: HTML. Students learn about several different HTML tags as well as the basic structure of a web page. Students use HTML to develop several of their own creative web pages.
- CSS - Styling Websites: Students learn the language CSS and use it to style their web pages. Students learn about the benefits of styling with CSS and will use CSS to create several styled web pages of their own.
- Project - Create a Webpage: Students build their own websites about a topic of interest. This site will be accessible on their own custom domain and will be continually improved by the student as they continue on in the course.
- Advanced HTML and CSS: This module dives deeper into different things we can do with HTML and CSS. Students practice advanced topics in HTML and CSS, including visibility, image filtering, interaction, and animation, to develop more advanced websites.
- Project - Create a Website: Students will expand their webpage into a multi-page site. They will also apply CSS styling.
- Basic 2D Game Design: Students will be introduced to game design using Construct3. This will cover sprites, movement, events, actions, variables, user interfaces, and the project lifecycle.
- Project - Create a Game: Students will create a simple game to share with their peers.
- Advanced 2D Game Design: Students will be introduced to more advacned game concepts using Construct3. This will cover flowcharts, compound conditionals, functions, libraries, naming conventions, and optimization.
- Project - Improve a Game: Students will expand their game with the option of sharing it on the Internet.
- Physical Computing: Students will create interactive programs using an Adafruit Circuit Playground and Code.org’s App Lab.
- Microcontrollers and Circuits: Students will be introduced to microcontrollers and simple circuits using SparkFun’s Arduino101 kit.